The Friction Bite Unit (FBU) is designed for torquing up premium pipe (chrome, stainless, fiberglass, etc) without marking or damaging the tubing and is:
- Easily mounted to Universe or other manufacturers’ power tongs.
- Powered by compressed air so there is no need for any additional hydraulics, making it very light and compact.
The FBU uses wrap around dies on the 04A05C unit and insert dies for the 04A09D unit. Dies come in a variety of configurations that include:
Friction Bite Unit Brochure (Last updated July 25, 2012)
- Conventional Hardened Steel Fine Toothed
- Able to hold maximum torque.
- Less marking on tubing when used with the FBU than conventional cam-type tongs.
- Grit Faced (Tungsten Carbide)
- Able to hold maximum torque with minimum surface scratches making it acceptable for most CRA applications.
- Smooth Aluminum
- Provides an intermediate holding torque with no markings.
- For additional holding torque, can be used with silicone carbide mesh.